Charles Bridge, Prague, Czech Republic – interesting information and facts Charles Bridge (Karlův most) is an historic bridge that crosses the Vltava river in Prague, Czech Republic. Its construction started in 1357 under the auspices of the famous King Charles IV. This new bridge was originally called Stone Bridge (Kamenný most) or Prague Bridge (Pražský most). As the only means of crossing the river Vltava (Moldau) until 1841, Charles Bridge was the most important connection between Prague Castle and the city’s Old Town. Charles bridge is 621 metres (2,037 ft) long and nearly 10 metres (33 ft) wide, following the example of the Stone Bridge in Regensburg, it was built as a bow bridge with 16 arches shielded by ice guards. It is protected by three bridge towers, two of them on the Lesser Quarter side and the third one on the Old Town side. The bridge is decorated by a continuous alley of 30 statues and statuaries, most of them baroque-style.
“Next up in our poll of the most beautiful cities in the world is Prague, a city of two sides: by night it’s a buzzing metropolis with a hedonistic party scene, but by day you can lose yourself in a warren of quaint cobbled streets, or spend an afternoon admiring the view from the Charles Bridge, stretched across the Vltava, up to the castle.” photo: prague-navigator.com text: The Rough Guides Limited, The most beautiful city in the world – as voted by you, roughguides.com/gallery/most-beautiful-city-in-the-world/
The Charles Bridge has mathematical significance Charles IV laid the first stone of this famous monument at 5.31 am on July 9, 1357. The notoriously superstitious king was into astrology and numerology, and chose this date because of its written form: 1-3-5-7-9-7-5-3-1 (year, day, month, time). Add this information to the stunning views and saintly statues, and Charles Bridge is clearly a required item on any list of what to see in Prague.
Charles Bridge is the oldest Prague bridge built in the place of the Judith Bridge, which was destroyed by floods in 1342. Stone Bridge or Prague Bridge since 1870 called Charles, was founded in 1357 by Charles IV. (he laid the foundation stone on 9th of September 1357), and bridge was completed in 1402. Charles Bridge connects the Old Town with Lesser Town of Prague (Mala Strana). The bridge is built of sandstone blocks and it’s 515.76 meters long, 9.5 meters wide, resting on 16 arches. Both sides of Charles bridge are fortified by towers – Lesser Town Bridge Tower and Old Town Bridge Tower (built in gothic style). Peter Parléř managed the construction. In 1928 was the bridge was decorated by baroque statues of 30 saints – the most famous is the statue of St. John of Nepomuk (created […]