The Salmovský Palace at Hradčanské square is an exhibition venue of the National Gallery Prague. In the basement there are held short-term exhibitions.
Salmovský Palace (Small Schwarzenberg Palace)
A three-wing building of a palace type was built as a Classicist new building with visible influence of the Empire style via a radical reconstruction of older residences within the years 1800 – 1811.
These residences were namely the Renaissance palace of Pavel Sixt Trautsohn and the Lords of Šternberk, which were joined together by František Matyáš Karel of Šternberk before 1648 and after him Václav Count Paar. In 1770, both houses were purchased by JUDr. Josef Bretfeld, and in 1795, he conveyed them onto the Prague Archbishop Vilém Florentin, Prince Salm-Salm. He had both the houses rebuilt in the years 1810 – 11 and built a palace according to a project of his architect František Pavíček (Pawitschek).
However, the Archbishop died in the meantime, and five years later, the palace was acquired by Josef, Count Schwarzenberg, and he added it as a residential complement to his neighbouring large Renaissance palace. Later on, the palace was used by the Krumlov primogeniture of the Schwarzenbergs as their Prague residence until 1945.
After the war, it was nationalized and used for foreign services.
Since 2003, it has been under the administration of the National Gallery. An extensive reconstruction took place in the years 2008 – 2012. The palace has a small pre-yard in a French style (cour d’honneur), closed from the square only via a mighty trellis with a trellis gate.