It is one of the most famous Art Nouveau buildings in Prague, which stands on the Republic Square (no. 5), in the neighborhood of the Powder Tower opposite the house U. It serves mainly ceremonial purposes.
On the site of today’s Municipal House was originally the residence of Czech kings, King’s Court. This complex was built around 1380 Wenceslas IV. as his headquarters, and then court still served as the residence of sovereigns in the years 1383-1484.
Apart from the palace included a lot courtiers, spa, lvinec and garden. After Vaclav IV. Here lived his brother Sigismund and then, for example, Vladislav Jagellonský, who relocated from Old Town back to Prague Castle.
Until now, the Royal Palace retained only the name of the adjacent street Královodvorská and passage to the Powder Tower on Celetna Street.
Municipal House was built in 1905-1912 on the basis of winning the architectural competition by architects Anthony Balšánek and Polivka.
Decorated by the most significant Czech painters and sculptors of the early 20th century: Mikolas Ales, Karel Novak, Joseph Wenceslas Myslbek, Alfons Mucha and Jan Preisler.
Its interior includes several halls, the largest of which is the Smetana Hall, serving as concert (for 1,200 listeners)
Besides the concerts there are organized exhibitions and other events.
On the ground floor and in the basement is are several restaurants and cafes