History of the Municipal House Prague:
It is one of the most famous Art Nouveau buildings in Prague. Municipal House is situated on the Republic Square (no. 5), in the neighborhood of the Powder Tower. It serves mainly ceremonial purposes.
On the site of today’s Municipal House Prague was originally the residence of Czech kings, King’s Court. This complex was built around 1380.
Municipal House Prague was built in 1905-1912 on the basis of winning the architectural competition by architects Anthony Balšánek and Polivka.
Decorated by the most significant Czech painters and sculptors of the early 20th century: Mikolas Ales, Karel Novak, Joseph Wenceslas Myslbek, Alfons Mucha and Jan Preisler.
Its interior includes several halls, the largest of which is the Smetana Hall, serving as concert (for 1,200 listeners)
Besides the concerts there are organized exhibitions and other events.
On the ground floor and in the basement, there are several restaurants and cafes.
The tours are in English and Czech language; printed versions of the commentary are available in German, French, Italian, Spanish, Japanese and Russian. The tours take approximately an hour.
Smetana Hall – Confectionery – Moravian Slovak Parlour – Božena Němcová Parlour – Oriental Parlour – Grégr Hall – Palacký Hall – Mayor’s Hall – Riegr Hall – Sladkovský Hall – American Bar
290 CZK . . . . . Adult
240 CZK . . . . . Reduced (youths under 15, students under 26, seniors over 60)
500 CZK . . . . . Family (1 – 2 adults with 1 – 3 children under 18)
Children under 10 have free admission, holders of Prague Cards have 15% discount from full admission (247 CZK)
more information: http://www.obecnidum.cz/en/turistic-tours.html