The Liechtenstein Palace was built on the grounds of five city houses in 1591 and rebuilt in Classical style in the 18th century. The princely family of Lichtensteins gradually lost interest in the Palace and sold it to the Earl of Ledebour. Later on, the Palace housed many different institutions, until finally in the 1980´s it was acquired by the Academy of Musical Arts.
It was beautifully reconstructed and adjusted for the purposes of the Academy. Nowadays, Liechtenstein Palace is literally full of music! The Liechtenstein Palace is protected as a cultural monument of the Czech Republic.
The Lichtenstein Palace used to be associated with the Royal Governor, but in the 19th century became the seat of the Supreme Military Commander of Prague, whose Office was still based here in 1918. Fears of possible intervention by the Austro-Hungarian army against the newly established Czechoslovakia were running high. There was also a large garrison in the Joseph barracks on Republic square. The troops then stationed in Prague were for the most part Hungarians. It was crucial to reach an accord with the military HQ, or to defend Prague by force, a role taken up by the Sokol movement in October 1918.