Chvaly Chateau (Chvalský zámek) – Prague

Mostecká Street in the evening
November 16, 2018
Prague Castle - Cathedral of St Vitus, St Wenceslas and St Adalbert (Katedrála sv. Víta, Václava a Vojtěcha)
Prague Castle – St. Vitus Cathedral (Katedrála sv. Víta, Václava a Vojtěcha)
December 4, 2018

Chvaly Chateau (Chvalský zámek) – Prague

Originally a medieval fortress with preserved embrasures and later Renaissance and Baroque modifications, it’s the dominant feature of the village of Chvaly, now part of Horní Počernice. In the chateau’s exhibition spaces, you can view works of art and also buy pieces on display in the sales gallery. The chateau grounds are also a venue for concerts and theatre productions.


  • Chvaly Chateau (Chvalský zámek)
  • Na Chvalské tvrzi 3
  • 193 21 Praha 9- Horní Počernice
  • +420 281 860 130

Object history

Chvaly Chateau

The castle and the adjoining Church of St. Ludmila form a dominant of an extensive area, together with a courtyard with former farm buildings. Originally, it was a Gothic fortress, documented as early as in the beginning of the 15thcentury, later rebuilt to a Renaissance castle. In 1652, the castle was acquired by the Jesuits, and they rebuilt the castle to a two-storied shape after the fire in 1734. They also established gardens, a pond, a mill, and a brewery. There are extensive cellars and underground tunnels underneath the castle.

The Church of St. Ludmila was originally a castle chapel from 1660; it was extended at the end of the 18th century, and a tower was added in the beginning of the 19th century. The church is currently owned by the Church.

When the Jesuit order was abolished in 1773, the castle got into the administration of different renters, but the objects dilapidated.

In 1951, the castle area was nationalized and it was used as a state farm. In 1994, the Capital City of Prague became its owner – the municipal district of Horní Počernice. In 2002, there was a major fire at the fortress. A reconstruction of the area started in 2006, being financed from the EU funds. On the 1st May 2008, the Chvaly Castle was opened for public. The individual objects are used for cultural and social purposes.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *